Interactive tool on IRS.gov helps taxpayers get answers to their tax questions
Tax questions can pop up any time of the year. When people need answers, they should start with Interactive Tax Assistant on IRS.gov. It’s a tool that provides answers to a many tax law questions.
The taxpayer enters answers to a series of questions and the tool gives them a response based on those answers. Here are some of the topics covered:
Filing Status, Dependents and Exemptions
- Whom May I Claim as a Dependent?
- What Is My Filing Status?
- May I Claim an Exemption for Myself or My Spouse?
- How Much Can I Deduct for Each Exemption I Claim?
Retirement: Pensions, IRAs, Social Security
- Are My Social Security or Railroad Retirement Tier I Benefits Taxable?
- Is My Pension or Annuity Payment Taxable?
- Do I Need to Report the Transfer or Rollover of an IRA or Retirement Plan on My Tax Return?
- Is the Distribution from My Roth Account Taxable?
- Is the Distribution from My Traditional, SEP or SIMPLE IRA Taxable?
- How Do I Claim My Gambling Winnings and/or Losses?
- Do I Have Income Subject to Self-Employment Tax?
- Is My Tip Income Taxable?
- Are Payments I Receive for Being Unemployed Taxable?
- How Much Is My Standard Deduction?
- Can I Deduct My Medical and Dental Expenses?
- Can I Deduct My Mortgage-Related Expenses?
- Can I Deduct My Charitable Contributions?
- Can I Claim My Expenses as Miscellaneous Itemized Deductions on Schedule A (Form 1040)?
- Are My Work-Related Education Expenses Deductible?
- Am I Eligible to Claim an Education Credit?
- Does My Child/Dependent Qualify for the Child Tax Credit or the Credit for Other Dependents?
- Am I Eligible to Claim the Child and Dependent Care Credit?
- Do I Qualify for the Credit for the Elderly or Disabled?
- Do I Qualify for the Retirement Savings Contributions Credit?
Share this tip on social media — #IRSTaxTip: Interactive tool on IRS.gov helps taxpayers get answers to their tax questions https://go.usa.gov/xyNzX